[Olpc-open] Foot power revisited...

Mike Dawson mikeofmanchester at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 11:39:59 EST 2009

Hi All,

Unfortuantely I am just stuck in Jalalabad at the moment as bad
weather cancelled our flight back to Kabul but I met the folks who are
doing the Fab Lab here (if anyone has heard of that).

So we did a quick back of the envelope calculation along these lines
that refreshed my high school physics as soon as they reminded me that
W = FD

1. Assuming someone is normally doing about 60 rpm on a bike
(apparently the figure is 60-90)

2. Take the distance that a foot pedal gets pushed as being 15 cm

3. Work done = Force x Distance

4. Dynamo as being 50% efficient (apparently an alternator can be up
to 60% efficient http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_generator)

5.

P = 0.15F / 2

P = Power in Watts out
F = Force in Newtons

(as at 60rpm the output in Joules will be for 1 second, which is
therefor the power rating in Watts)

So the force required to generate 9W (e.g. for charging a little and
running the laptop):

9 = 0.15F / 2
F = 120N = 12.23kg (given gravity = 9.81N per kg)

Which does not seem to be an unreasonable amount...  Our idea is to
see if it is possible to generate continuous power during usage in a
manner that is both quiet enough and reliable enough.  We can get
Dynamos from the local market for about $0.80 each.

I know that calculation does not include the required loss to a bridge
rectifier... but it all just seems a little too simple - can anyone
spot the mistake here?

If that's correct then when the chopper takes us back to Kabul we can
try to connect up the rectifier to the machine and see how we might be
able to charge the XO...

Would also be interested to calculate if one assumes that most of or
all of the calories burned by the human body come from a certain
source, then how much will this add to the food bill?  Given that I am
told a human normally produces 60W of just heat... hopefully not too
much.

Regards,

-Mike