[Olpc-open] good morning

Steve Holton sph0lt0n at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 14:01:26 EST 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 1:28 PM, Robert Ryburn
<robertjamesryburn at yahoo.com>wrote:

> I would like to order a laptop for my St Columban Catholic School, Garden
> Grove, California 92840.  How would I go about doing it?

Hi Robert-

There are several options, but probably not the ones you were looking for.

OLPC normally focuses on large scale deployments in conjunction with the
Ministry of Education (or similar) in lesser developed countries. These are
generally 10K+ deployments although smaller pilot projects (around 1,000
XO's) have also occurred. Generally, the deployment of XO's under these
circumstances also includes significant engineering to ensure adequate
power, internet access, school servers, cirriculum focus, etc.  The decision
on where these kinds of deployments occur is made by OLPC.

Smaller directed deployments (around 100 or so XO's) are possible in theory
through the GiveMany program:
-  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Give_Many

If you are interested in but a few (or only one)  XO you have basically two
can wait for OLPC to resume their Give One Get One initiative.
-  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/G1G1_2008

(In the closing months of 2007 and 2008, OLPC ran a G1G1 fund raiser where
individuals could purchase XO's in single quantities. These programs have
now ended. There is currently no information as to whether a similar program
will be run in 2009.)

There used to be a third option: to apply to receive an XO through the
Developer program:
-  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Developers_program/tmp
I believe this is no longer available.

I hope you find this information helpful.

> Regards,
>
> Robert James Ryburn

Steve Holton
sph0lt0n at gmail.com