[Olpc-open] NOW: Contributors Program Mtg! (Wed 4:15PM Boston time, #olpc-meeting)

Holt holt at laptop.org
Wed Dec 2 16:16:00 EST 2009

Please join us NOW reviewing the latest OLPC/Sugar community projects
over IRC Live Chat:  (4:15PM EST Boston Time Today/Friday)
http://forum.laptop.org/chat

Then type at bottom:
/join #olpc-meeting

Apologies for the unusual time as I will be on the road Friday to
FUDCon/Toronto with 15 free XO-1.5 B2's :-)
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_1.5_B2

AGENDA:

* New projects & libraries -- teaching them Community Outreach:
  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Laptop_Lending_Libraries

* Which projects might you enjoy Mentoring below?!
  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects
  http://rt.laptop.org/Search/Results.html?Query=Queue=%27contributors%27

* Fast Review of the 11 latest (greatest!) HW/Project Proposals -- please
  join us advocating for, and/or reviewing shortcomings of these proposals:

1. Trade Tech College LULAC XO Laptop Lending Library (Los Angeles)
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=47537
   [SPECIFIC SITE(S) NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects ]

   Requests 10 XOs over 18 months

   Project Objectives:
   The project objectives are to empower all LATTC students with basic
   computer technological skills.
   To introduce students to the world of the internet.

2. Starting a Trial - Nigeria
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=50593
   [SPECIFIC SITE(S) NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects ]

   Requests 3 XOs over 12 months

   Project Objectives:
   We are a trusted COMPUTER AND INTERNET service provider for schools
   ,companies, government sector that are interested in installing or
   enhancing network systems, improving computer security, investing in
   software and hardware upgrade, outsourcing computer maintenance and
   preventive service.

   We analyse, design, supply, install, manage and service network from
start
   to finish, from cabling the premises to supplying the workstation and the
   server.

3. Middle and High School XO Developers Project - Springfield, MA, USA
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=50600
   [SPECIFIC SITE(S) NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects ]

   Requests 9 XOs over 12 months

   Project Objectives:
   I myself am a middle school student and would like to be involved in OLPC
   and XO laptops, so I thought of this student life project for my
school.  I
   would like 9 XO laptops so I could have technologically advanced middle
   school and high school students (Age 11 to 18) come in and see how the XO
   works, and try to develop new software, and maybe even hardware, for
the XO
   laptop.  By the end of November 2010, we shall have a good amount of
software
   and hardware available for the XO.

4. Benji Smith’s Eagle and Youth Group Project
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=50626
   Ihttp://sites.google.com/site/laptopsforthedominican/

   Requests (5?) XOs over (undetermined) months

   Project Objectives:
   My project will provide entertainment and a learning experience for the
   children of Los Toscones by providing them with basic computers that
can be
   used for both fun and educational purposes.

5. Corporate Social Responsibility Programe on Children's Education -
Nigeria
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=50961
   [SPECIFIC SITE(S) NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects ]

   Requests 1 XOs over (undetermined) months

   Project Objectives:
   To involve corporates in the sponsorship of IT education for children
from less privileged homes.

6. SANKAMAP Software Activities Development/Testing - PNG/Papua New
Guinea, Australia
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=51395
   http://olpc.quodling.name

   Requests 4 XOs over 18 months

   Project Objectives:
   A. Establish translation of OS/Applications into "Tok Pisin" aka
Neomelanesian Pidgin, the "lingua Franca" of Papua New Guinea. as well
as local Bougainvillean dialects (Primarily Simon)

   B. Porting of "Scribus" - an opensource DTP (Desktop Publishing
application) to the XO. (Primarily Peter)
   B1. Porting of Celtx - an OpenSource - media pre-production software
package used for writing and planning documentaries, scripts etc (to
assist in the capture of vocal history).

   C. Integration of scribus with an "Newspaper Management Application"
also under development - tracks news items, formats for web or
broadsheet delivery, and has a workflow component to facilitate
(primarily Peter)

   D. debugging issues around long distance communictions -using
distance line of sight Wifi and also Packet Radio.

   E. Assistance (Testing etc) on GAIABB project.

7. XO Advocacy Project - Nigeria
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=51437
   [SPECIFIC SITE(S) NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects ]

   Requests 2 XOs over 12 months

   Project Objectives:
   TO RECEIVE AND INTRODUCE XO LAPTOP IN SOME SECONDARY
   SCHOOL IN MY LOCALITY.
   TO ADVOCATE FOR THE GENERAL USAGE OF XO LAPTOPS.
   TO GET A GOOD NUMBER OF PEOPLE TO OWN XO LAPTOPS.

   TO BUILD SUPPORT FOR THE COMPANY OBJECTIVE OF
   ENHANCING CHILDREN EDUCATION VIA XO LAPTOPS.

8. Help Activity Maintenance - Seth Woodworth, Cambridge, MA, USA
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=51455
   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Help_(activity)

   Requests 1 XO-1.5 B2 over (undetermined) months

   Project Objectives:
   To update the Help Activity for the XO-1.5 release.

9. Conectando El Futuro @ Polytechnic University of Engineering/UPI -
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
   http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=51459
   http://www.upi.edu.hn
   [SPECIFIC SITE(S) NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects ]

   Requests 100 XOs over (undetermined) months

   Project Objectives:
   The Polytechnic University of Engineering, UPI, is an organization
   committed to its people, the Honduras people and has placed on its
   shoulders social responsibility and the priorities of the poorest people
   in isolated communities. Our priority is Education, and you cannot talk
   about education without children, and these days without digital
   technology. That´s why UPI looks at the OLPC as a great opportunity to
   remove the technological gap that exists in Latin America, these
   accompanied by the economical and social gaps that sadly define a
   generation in Honduras. UPI believes knowledge dissipates all gaps and
   is truly invaluable. That´s why pledge our commitment in helping the
   children reach the goals they could’t have dreamed of having.
   Giving the children laptops to increase their knowledge in math and
   science with the help of software will not only increase their potential
   but will make them comfortable in the areas of digital technology as we
   are in the digital age, it is essential that electronics be part of
   their formation.
   Teaching the teachers how to use the software is imperative if we want
   to create an extension and a follow up in the generational change. Kids
   with small resources or no resources at all can learn and the teachers
   can teach the next generation thus forming a chain for the better of our
   nation.
   UPI is member and representative of Engineers Without Borders
   International EWB-I and has founded its chapter EWB-Honduras, and
   receive support of the California State University.Chico, The
   Honduran-German Chamber of Commerce, The Honduran Foundation for
   Integral and Technical Education, FEITH,.and ECOMAC an engineering
company.

10. Sao Joao School - Sao Tome and Principe
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=51471
    http://bethstepsup.wordpress.com
    http://www.bethsantos.com
    http://letsgogirl.wordpress.com
    [SPECIFIC SITE(S) NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects ]

    Requests 4 XOs over 12 months

    Project Objectives:
    Concrete proposals with defined, measurable outcomes are much
    more likely to result in a laptop than "it would be cool to play with
    these and demo them".

    1. In planning future use of the laptop computers with the students at
    São João, I need to have computers of my own so that I may master the
    Sugar platform and the use of the XO laptop so that I may teach it to
    my students. I am asking for four computers of my own so that I can
    effectively connect within my own network best understand the
    mechanics of one. We currently have classes every Saturday, and during
    summer vacation we will also have classes three days per week. I am
    leaving the island for a period of time to go back home to Washington,
    DC, where I will not have regular access to these computers like I do
    in São Tomé. I need regular access to them so that I can not only
    master the computer for myself, but also learn important
    troubleshooting tactics, and to make lesson plans.

    2. I am also helping to translate the OLPC manual into Portuguese.
    Given this, it is important that I have a computer with me so that I
    can be sure that false translations can be corrected with real life
    experience.

    3. Finally, I am hoping to raise money for São João so that they can
    purchase enough computers for their entire 612-student 6th grade. The
    government of São Tomé and Príncipe is very poor and simply does not
    have the money to sponsor this program without help. I am hoping to be
    able to use the computers in my fundraising initiatives by showing
    interested individual and organizational donors the mechanics of this
    powerful little computer, encouraging them to support the education
    and growth of children at the São João school.

11. Expanded Roadshow In A Box with XO-1.5(s) - Los Angeles / Simi
Valley, CA, USA
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=51489
    [SPECIFIC SITE(S) NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects ]

    Requests 2 XO-1.5's over 18 months

    Project Objectives:

    A. The Roadshow In a Box has already been a rousing success with
many new volunteers and projects resulting from people seeing the XO-1
at exhibits and presentations we have done using Roadshow In A Box
machines we already have.

    It is time to add the XO-1.5 to the mix so we can show it at SCaLE
8X in February and CUE 2010 in March. Hundreds of people will be
attending these events, so we are asking for 2 machines to better serve
the people who will visit our exhibits.

    B. Testing of the XO-1.5 is an equally important objective. Having
experienced educators in the mix of testers is very important. We will
also assist in making the documentation of the machine and its software
easy to understand for educators.