[Olpc-open] Getting paper out of schools.

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 02:33:07 EDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 11:19 AM, Carol Lerche <cafl at msbit.com> wrote:
> This fixation on pdf includes olpc of course.

This turns out not to be the case. The OLPC XO has a screen rotate
function specifically to support reading portrait-mode documents
full-screen.

However, PDFs can be formatted to any page size or shape. I have
created landscape-mode documentation for products of large
corporations. It is true that most companies are lazy and hidebound
about such things, but it isn't Adobe's doing.

> On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Tom Potts <tompotts at itsosbroadband.co.uk>
> wrote:
>>
>> Wendy,
>>  The hardest thing about getting paper out of schools is most of the
>> software
>> they use is 'paper' based. Office, PDF's etc are all 'paper based' - say
>> A4
>> which is exactly the wrong way to fit on your computer screen so you have
>> print it!
>> Until people can be taught not to use 'paper' based formats things will
>> always
>> be printed - a bit of a vicious circle.
>> The answer is of course is html
>> a few ramblings at this link here
>> http://www.100297.itsosbroadband.co.uk/Paperless/The_Paperless_Office.html
>>
>> Tom

> --
> Americans always do the right thing, after trying everything else. --
> Winston Churchill

Don't panic.--HHGTTG, Douglas Adams
fivethirtyeight.com, 3bluedudes.com Obama by 70 in EC!
http://www.obamapedia.org/ Join us!
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User:Mokurai For the children