[Olpc-open] Early PR (was Re: [IAEP] G1G1 (was Re: [Community-news] OLPC News (2008-09-29)))

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 01:21:22 EDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 4:23 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 12:09 PM, Sameer Verma <sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:
>> I agree with Ed Cherlin in that if G1G1v2 begins in 5 weeks, now is
>> the time to get the campaign going. Five weeks isn't a lot of time.
>
> Note - we are not media savvy! I used to be a mass media guy, and
> talking with friends who are experts in the field, their advise was
> clear: make a lot of noise on the launch date, or a few days earlier.

The answer to any question depends very sensitively on the precise
question asked.

Launch day, Nov. 17, is not ship day. It is order day. What about
pre-orders? Amazon can handle them, can't they? Is there some reason
why not?

I understand that the details have not been worked out. What selection
of models (keyboard, developer key...) has not been set. But that is
no obstacle to pre-ordering. Amazon knows not to cash the checks
early.

I want [N] units, and the same number to go to children.

o When details become available, I understand that I will have to come
back to make my selection of keyboard/whatever. [x]
o No prob. Send me the lot in the default (US keyboard) version ASAP. [ ]

If you order the default version today, we expect that you will
receive your order on MMM dd, 2009 (date to slide based on Quanta's
production estimates). The earlier you order, or pre-order, the nearer
the head of the line/queue you will be. Actual shipment date depends
on models available and manufacturing volumes.

If we can select and announce recipient countries in advance, and put
out information sheets on each one, we can get a huge boost in
interest. We should by all means make the selection known to the
community as early as possible, so that we can start recruiting
localizers. (Last year nobody on staff thought about this, and I had
to set up Haitian Kreyol and Cambodian Khmer with Sayamindu, and find
people to get both started.)

> Making noise too early about gear people can't buy straight away is
> not a good move.

I have three words for you and your friends: Cabbage Patch Dolls.

Well, actually, I have more: Nintendo Wii, Apple iPhone...Do you
realize that the PR campaign for the Dynabook is now 40 years old? And
this is the first time that people can order one through Amazon?

> OTOH, it is a good time to be organising a big splash for the 17th of
> Nov, talk to SJ and friends about it.
>
> cheers,

> --
>  martin.langhoff at gmail.com
>  martin at laptop.org -- School Server Architect
>  - ask interesting questions

Don't panic.--HHGTTG, Douglas Adams
fivethirtyeight.com, 3bluedudes.com Obama still moving ahead in EC!
http://www.obamapedia.org/ Join us!
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User:Mokurai For the children