[Olpc-open] [IAEP] G1G1 (was Re: [Community-news] OLPC News (2008-09-29))

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Sun Oct 5 15:30:21 EDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 11:58 AM, Sean DALY <sdaly.be at gmail.com> wrote:
> Effective marketing is targeted. Last year's typical G1G1 donor was
> probably a generous IT type with a positive viewpoint concerning Free
> software, curious about Sugar and perhaps even willing to be an
> ambassador of the OLPC project. This market doesn't need a marketing
> message; they are ready to donate and merely eager for practical
> information (cost, available by Christmas or not, available outside
> the USA, if so with localized keyboards or not, at same price or not,
> ...). All that market needs is a press release today answering those
> questions, and a press conference on November 17th, both of which
> would probably get very complete media coverage. A three-minute film
> demonstrating the laptop, showing OLPC people working on it,
> mentioning and showing places around the world it is in use,
> enumerating challenges, and finally asking for a donation in time for
> the holidays, could be posted to YouTube during the press conference
> (and an MPEG-2 broadcast version offered to the media for download).
> Even a homey home video would be fine, perhaps even preferable.
> Imagine G1G1 donors posting video responses.... The challenge this
> time is fulfillment, but that seems well in hand with the Amazon
> partnership. The most effective merchandising could be what Apple has
> done for decades: a few decals/stickers slipped in the box before
> shipment -- easily designed and printed with negligeable
> picking/packing and shipment cost.

This just came to me while sitting in traffic - a stylized bumper
sticker: "My other XO is in Mongolia" (or Rwanda, Haiti, etc.
Randomize the stickers or give them a few to choose from:-)) We have a
lot of creativity on these lists. Let it rip!

> Massive buzz could be generated by
> another technique Apple has used for years: the education discount.
> Offer the pair at $375 for educators and university students, and $425
> for others. Imagine thousands of educators holding an XO in their
> hands, the community feedback potential.

This brings the overhead of verifying whose an educator etc. Apple
already has this in place. How do we handle it?

> Seen from the outside, the far more important target market that may
> need work is governments and education ministers. That group doesn't
> need merchandising, they need reassurance that they will be
> accompanied, that risks can be foreseen and contained, that there is
> indeed a correlation between learning via an interface optimized for
> children and later aptitude with office productivity software. IT
> vendors invest fortunes in such "decision-maker" marketing, and
> perhaps the best approach there is to find a small (or not), talented
> ad agency willing to work pro bono for the exposure, experience, and
> good citizen credentials.
> I would venture that the less said about the XO-2 at this time, the
> better. I believe the priority should be to combat the perception that
> OLPC has fallen short and discussing the future version might merely
> confuse everyone, in particular leading to speculation that something
> is not right with the XO-1. What G1G1 can do is remind everyone that
> hundreds of thousands of OLPC XO-1s have shipped and are shipping, and
> are serving children from Birmingham to Kigali.

The shipment numbers are impressive, and must be highlighted as much
as possible. Everyone I've spoken to at first thinks of this as a
faltered project, but then they hear the numbers and their eyes light
up. Numbers assure that the project is alive and kicking.

Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
San Francisco State University
San Francisco CA 94132 USA