[Olpc-open] [IAEP] G1G1 (was Re: [Community-news] OLPC News (2008-09-29))

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 16:12:45 EDT 2008

Yikes.  Undersaturated billboard markets...  I wonder how such things
impact the desire to 'launch' new announcements.

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 8:21 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
> FWIW, I saw a billboard in the Indianapolis airport this weekend
> advertising last year's G1G1 program!!

Ed, you're right that there isn't much visibility yet on the net.  We
should do better (and earlier!) this year, and target more focused
communities of interest.  I'm sure that the PR group will deal with
things like billboards and print/radio/tv media, but there are
hundreds of thousands of people already deeply engaged in missions
aligned with ours whom we can reach more directly.

You might add to the lists here:
   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Community_media

Especially groups of interested people  (like the readers of
boingboing and slashdot, which generally pick up OLPC news, but also
specific mailing lists that only hear fringes of information about the
project, like environment and sustainable dev groups, retired
grandparents, &c).

Last year we didn't draft much in the way of specific language for
different audiences, but we should.   Notes I send to my family about
the program are very different from the more generic emails that go
out.

SJ