[Olpc-open] Translation Bots - remote collaboration / Euro G1G1

Todd - try laptop.org/xo tekelsey at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 12:47:04 EST 2008

If anyone in olpc-land is doing remote collaboration in various languages
(or speaking english only but may interact with Euro g1g1 folks?), there's a
nice feature available with inline Gmail chat, where you can set up a live
chat room and invite a Google translation bot, or several for that matter,
who can then interpret between various languages.

http://googletalk.blogspot.com/2008/06/more-translation-bots.html

There's definite limitations to computer translation, but Google does pretty
well, and if you try to think like a news reporter with a very limited
vocabulary (i.e. neutral, minimum of slang, jargon, idiom, simple, short,
brief), then it can help. If you have any questions feel free to email me.

It would be nice if we could set up an email bot somehow; Europeans are
wonderfully adept at language, but not *everyone* knows English and I
believe there's about 25 eu member languages. Too bad Google doesn't machine
translate english and gaelic! (gaelic is an official eu language, thank
you.) Or we could all follow William Shatner's lead as seen in the early b/w
film Incubus, and could all learn Esperanto . . .