[Olpc-open] [OLPC-SF] Microsoft Is Joining Low-Cost Laptop Project - New York Times

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Wed May 21 17:21:19 EDT 2008

> The local Linux User Groups have regular Installfests. I coordinate
> Installfests for Silicon Valley LUG, usually at Evergreen Valley
> College. On occasion Andrew Fife (copied on this e-mail) organizes
> really big installfests at multiple sites around the Bay Area. We put
> Ubuntu Linux on more than 300 computers the last time. He can tell you
> how to get your computers done up if you can get a few volunteers
> together at the school.

The computers of which I am speaking are from that installfest.  We are
having trouble placing those computers, because many of them have 256 MB of
RAM, and the students are complaining that they are too slow.  Andrew Fife
of Untangle and James Burgett of ACCRC are true heroes for organizing that
installfest, but much work still remains to be done in actually getting
those boxes into students' hands.