[Olpc-open] [OLPC-SF] Microsoft Is Joining Low-Cost Laptop Project - New York Times

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Wed May 21 17:17:54 EDT 2008

> I agree that "zero-sum game" is greatly overstating the case.  Some on each
> side
> consider the other to be detracting, in various ways, but the whole field
> is indeed
> growing, rapidly.

The market expands, but is still limited.  Hence my belief that it is a
zero-sum competition between GNU Linux and the Microsoft business network.

I do agree that the market is so huge and complex that there are areas where
the Linux-centric business market can get some bounce from the spread of
Microsoft Windows.  There are, of course, lots of Free Software applications
such as OOo and Audacity that run on Windows.  So yes, I do see overlap and
some _apparent_ mutual benefit there.

However, IMHO, that _apparent_ mutual benefit is, mostly like, just that --
an illusion.  Every copy of OOo that appears on a Windows install is a trial
run for abandoning Microsoft Office.  It is the apps that bind end users to
the Microsoft monopoly.  Cut those ties, and the logic behind Microsoft's
monopoly business model falters.

--
Christian Einfeldt,
Producer, The Digital Tipping Point