[Olpc-open] [Its.an.education.project] Sorry, what are we teaching? How?

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Mon May 19 15:26:10 EDT 2008

2008/5/19 info at olpc-peru.info <info at olpc-peru.info>:
>>Dave Crossland wrote:

To be clear, Edward Cherlin wrote this part:

>>> It will have other effects that we do not know about yet.
>>> Gutenberg had no thought of supporting the Renaissance, the
>>> Reformation, the Scientific Revolution, or anything else that followed
>>> from printing. He wanted to print Bibles and other books that had been
>>> written by hand before, in expensive editions for those who were
>>> already buying books, mostly in the Church. Nobody knew that Aldus
>>> Manutius, Martin Luther, and Galileo Galilei were coming, or any of
>>> the others, nor what convulsions their productions would inspire.
>>>

> Nope.  The French King that authorize Diderot to publish the Encyclopedia
> ...  In the end The King authorize Diderot's Encyclopedia

Very cool piece of history! Thanks for sharing :-)

>>> I would like to see their textbooks and have a community critique of them.
>>
>> I'd be interested to hear if the textbooks are made by the Peruvian
>> ministry, or by a private company. If its a private company, I expect
>> that getting them published online for this kind of analysis will be
>> hopeless :-(
>
> textbooks are written according to the instructions of the Ministry of
> Education.  Printed by the
> goverment and delivered by the goverment (that is for public schools,
> private schools need to
> follow the curricula but they write and print its own books).

Edward didn't mean the textbooks used in schools, he meant the
textbooks used in Teachers Colleges.

And I apologies that I wasn't precise - I meant to say:

I'd be interested to hear if the copyright for the textbooks' text and
images are held by the Peruvian ministry, or by a private company. If
its a private company, I expect that getting the text and images
published online for analysis will be impossible.
http://www.futureofthebook.org/commentpress/ is a suitable tool for
this. If it is the Ministry, I hope they can publish the books on the
OLPC wiki :-)

--
Regards,
Dave