[Olpc-open] [bytesforall_readers] RE: [UgaBYTES] Rwanda Telecentre Network (RTN) to organize the firstTelecentre leaders forum

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 02:01:40 EDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 6:02 AM, Meddie Mayanja <mmayanja at idrc.ca> wrote:

> Paul, hi
>
> Thanks for sharing with us this nice piece of news. Which month is the
> event?
>
> Are you inviting telecentre practitioners from around the region too?

Have you invited anybody from One Laptop Per Child, or the people in
the Rwandan Ministry of Education who are working with them? We are
going to deliver more than 10,000 XO laptops to Rwanda, localized into
Kinyarwanda, later this year. The XO has built-in mesh networking, so
that all of the children in a school can communicate with each other,
whether or not there is an Internet connection. We will supply school
servers containing large chunks of Wikipedia in English and local
languages so that villages without Internet connections can get some
of the rich information content from the Internet anyway. We also have
more than 10,000 XOs for Ethiopia, and are talking to almost all
governments about putting them in schools all over Africa and indeed
the whole world.

We have heard that Nigerian schoolchildren in pre-production trials
have created an XO Hospital for repairs, and the first Igbo spelling
checker dictionary.

I also work with OneVillage Foundation Ghana, which has a telecenter
project in Winneba.

--
Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/