[Olpc-open] Nortel LearniT animations (Seth Woodworth)

Bryan Berry bryan.berry at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 22:41:37 EDT 2008

Edward Cherlin Wrote:
> That might be the quickest strategy, but I don't agree that it is the best.
>
> * Gnash needs funding and developers. Let's do it. Rob Savoye says, as
> I understand it, that more codecs have been cracked but not coded for.
> Rob, can we get the list? Is there a roadmap for implementation? I
> didn't see it in any of the obvious places.

Sugar needs more developers, the XS needs more developers and resources,
this project as a whole needs a lot more resources.

There are a lot of awesome flash-based modules for magnetism,
electricity, math, and basic science. Flash is pervasive in educational
courseware development. We shouldn't make kids wait until we come up
with a completely free alternative to Flash.

One aspect of this project is that kids can discover things on their
own. If we have very limited flash support we are limiting what kids can
discover to works that we have transcoded or Gnash fully supports.

OLPC can't bundle flash into their images but they can make it
significantly easier for deployment teams to add it as an .xo bundle
just as we currently add custom activity bundles.

I agree that the long-term strategy should be to support Gnash and/or
get Adobe to open up their Flash player. But we have pilots running now
and kids that want to learn science, mathematics, English, etc. Let's
not make them wait.

Bryan
Kathmandu