[Olpc-open] Development of applications for children

Manuel Strehl Manuel.Strehl at physik.uni-regensburg.de
Tue Jan 8 16:09:37 EST 2008

Dear list,

I'm a PhD student from Germany and attending a seminar about UIs for children and older people. I was collecting material for my talk therein about development methods for childrens' software, when I at first got the idea to search scholar.google.com for publications related to OLPC.

My Problem: I've found nothing so far about anyone at OLPC making special considerations on how software for kids has to "look and feel" or the usability constraints for children. There is a small paragraph at [1] and another at [2], but besides, it seems that noone published anything in this direction.

I really would like to present OLPC as a project that cares of how software should be written for children. If anyone of you knows some ressources on the web (scientific or popular) or could tell me, which thoughts about children-centered UIs are realized in Sugar (and accompanied activities), that would be great.

Best regards

Manuel Strehl

[1] <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Human_Interface_Guidelines/Design_Fundamentals/Know_Your_Audience>
[2] <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Learning_Vision>