[Olpc-open] [1village] Re: In regards to OLPC in Ghana

Joy Tang joy at onevillagefoundation.org
Thu Feb 28 22:27:54 EST 2008

Hello, Linnea and Ed,

We have designed and implemented the Catch IT Young
program in Ghana led by Kafui Prebbie. Recently, we discussed how to
revive the program to reach to the primary and secondary school  on
computing and Internet literacy.

Many years ago when we first started this program, the Internet
infrastructure was not as available as it is today in Ghana. The
logistic challenge to get the students transported to where there are
computer labs and Internet access intensified our determination to
address the infrastructure issue as well as identifying and later designing the low-cost ICT devices. Currently, we are in the process of selecting the low-cost laptops and in communications w/ the technologies providers about the education focus we have to empower the human capacity building.

Kafui Prebbie also is the main organizer of Winneba Linux User Group (WILUG)  Ed's idea on the installfest for the Sugar educational software on Mac or PC computers is great.

Linnea, would you be interested in exploring how we could link the existing resources and know-how together to maximize the potential on educational services for children, the youth in WILUG and all that are involved or listened.

Thanks, Ed for the informative sharing.

Joy Ayo Tang
http://blog.onevillage.tv/wp/