[Olpc-open] getting used to the journal

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Mon Feb 11 16:07:45 EST 2008

Hi,

I must admit it took me some time to get used to the concept of a
journal that captures all that you do, and saves it, along with
versioning, date and time. Additionally, the ability to add tags and
description is great.

What I didn't expect is that I would get used to it so much that I would
miss it in my regular work environment! I find my file manager and
backup utilities to be primitive. With file managers, you have to go
digging into drives, folders, and then look at time stamps. BTW, I use
Ubuntu Gutsy as my primary interface. I boot into Windows XP about once
a month (old habits...). Now that I've experienced the journal, I want
it on my machine!!!

I can [now] see how a person (child or otherwise) who has never used a
file manager would not need one and would take to the journal. Of
course, those of us who like it under the hood would want their /usr
/var /etc to be there, but if you don't know about it, why bother?

I wonder if anyone else has had this experience, or is my wine tainted :-)

Sameer

--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
San Francisco State University