[Olpc-open] Nicholas Negroponte Opens Dialogue!

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 00:05:49 EDT 2008

I have asked Nicholas to allow me to post his private e-mail messages to me
about the biggest current question, Sugar on Windows, and on other matters.
These include much of what we discuss here.

   - Talking to and listening to the community
   - Pronouncements to the press
   - Dissing Open Source
   - XOs for the developed world
   - Making some money to fund other necessities
   - and the rest of my suggestions for the new
CEO<http://olpcnews.com/forum/index.php?topic=2436.msg20490#msg20490>

Nicholas has written to me twice, and promises more. I have suggested an
open forum, perhaps in due time a conference of the stakeholders in
Cambridge. That should include

   - The Board of Directors
   - The Board of Advisors
   - Management and Staff
   - Volunteers
   - Children and Parents
   - Teachers, Administrators, and Education Officials
   - Governments and NGOs who want XOs for children anywhere

Well, we'll see what comes out of the current private discussion.

The short version of the main issue is that Nicholas got the bright idea of
trying to outsmart Microsoft and use Microsoft's marketing muscle to get XOs
running Sugar to children faster than Sugar on Linux. The community doesn't
mind Microsoft spending its own money to port Sugar to Windows, if they
like. But talk of putting OLPC money and people into this project has
sparked open revolt. Among our major objections:

   - Scott Ananian wrote A technical assessment of porting "Sugar" to
   Windows<http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2008-April/013242.html>
   - I pointed out, from my experience as a long-time high-tech market
   analyst, some of the wreckage of those who thought they could outsmart
   Microsoft. Always remember, an 800 lb. gorilla doesn't need to outsmart
   *you*.
   - If anybody tries to make the volunteers work on proprietary
   software, we can (and many will) walk. We can and will fork Sugar if
   necessary.
   - The mission is education and other human rights for all children,
   thus ending poverty worldwide. Among the necessary rights in the view of the
   community is Software Freedom. And guess what? There are still poor people
   in the US who don't rate a genuine education in the current system.

I have told Nicholas, and the community, and everybody on the Board of
Directors and the Board of Advisors that I have an e-mail address for, that
in my opinion and much of the community, Nicholas is endangering the
mission. I'm waiting to hear back from the Boards as well.

And if Nicholas talks to you, please let me and the community know. OK?

--
Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/