[Olpc-open] where is going Sugar?

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net
Sun Apr 27 17:23:47 EDT 2008

Hi all,

during the last weeks people from three different pilot projects have
asked me what's going on inside OLPC. I couldn't answer them
satisfactorily because I know very little more than what anyone from
the community would know (and I like it that way).

What worried me is that people were making their plans with Sugar
playing some part on them, and now fear that Sugar will stop being
supported. Let me state three things:

- OLPC has been the biggest single contributor to Sugar until now.

- OLPC has recently stated publicly that will continue supporting
Sugar [1]. People have some doubts about what this means, but I hope
this will be clarified soon.

- Not trying to subtract importance to the support that OLPC has
given, but the resources that have been invested until now can be
easily supplied by the community. There were NOT 40 engineers working
full time in Sugar [2] at any point. Rather closer to a 10% of that
[3].

To summarize, Sugar is getting closer to its (original, consensual)
goals and will continue to do so at an increasing speed. Keep tuned
and remember that everyone is welcome to this community of us.

[1] http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/attachments/20080423/05688667/attachment.htm
[2] http://blogs.technet.com/jamesu/archive/2007/12/05/olpc-in-the-news-part-2.aspx
[3] http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/sugar/2008-April/004971.html

Good luck on your dreams of better education for everyone,

Tomeu