[Olpc-open] touchpad issues

gnome gnome at greenglim.com
Sun Apr 27 13:50:15 EDT 2008

This may be irrelevant old news at this point, but here goes anyway.  As
a G1G1 user, I received an XO with Q2D03? 06? firmware and had major
jumpy touchpad issues.  Excessive sensitivity, jumping into the corners,
the works.  (The trick about turning off the sudden appearance of the
frame was essential.)  By the time I decided to try upgrading the
firmware, q2d10 was out in beta, so I used that.  The cursor went
totally nuts.  I downshifted to q2d07, and suddenly it worked quite
well. (That's what I'm still using.)

So, maybe, the major part of the problem is not the users or the
touchpad itself?

Another point: I've been using xubuntu on an SD card in a dual boot
configuration, following moocapiean's instructions
(http://olpcnews.com/forum/index.php?topic=1436.0).  He just recently
walked us through a kernel upgrade for that setup (p 17 of the link),
and that also made a huge difference to the jumpiness of the cursor.  It
had been a pretty big problem under xubuntu as well.

Doesn't this imply that the drivers are the issue?  Or is that maybe
only in my case, but other people have other causes for the problem?

quixote.