[Olpc-open] Flash & Gnash

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 14:19:59 EDT 2008

The video in XO Speak: Speech Synthesis for One Laptop Per Child,
http://www.olpcnews.com/software/applications/xo_speak_speech_synthesis.html

http://flash.revver.com/player/1.0/player.js?mediaId:761721;affiliateId:137131;backColor:#000000;frontColor:#ffffff;gradColor:#000000;width:480;height:392;

showing a child using Speak, doesn't play in Gnash. How can we get
that fixed? YouTube videos mostly play fine, so we know that there is
no sound technical reason for the problem. For example, the Theora
encoding is supported in Free/Open Source software.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theora

"Theora is an open and royalty-free lossy video compression technology
being developed by the Xiph.Org Foundation as part of their Ogg
project. Based upon On2 Technologies' VP3 codec, Theora is targeted at
competing with MPEG-4, WMV, and similar low-bitrate video compression
schemes."

I put in a complaint at revver.com, and I invite others to do so.

http://www.revver.com/contact/

It makes no sense for videos about the XO not to play on the XO.

The real reason for this problem is Adobe, which refuses to either
create a Free Flash player, or to provide information to allow the
community to build one. I invite you to complain to them, also. You
can send a comment, post in a forum, submit a bug, or request a
feature.

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/contact.html?ogn=EN_US-gn_contact

See also http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=72&catid=616&threadid=1312647&enterthread=y#4759808

--