[Olpc-open] FW: olpc and anti-corruption

Mike Dawson mike at paiwastoon.com.af
Fri Apr 4 09:42:40 EDT 2008

Dear All,

Greetings from Kabul.  This is definitely an interesting idea to see
what can be done for anti-corruption but I think there are some things
that we have to be careful about:

1. We need to be careful of the link between the XO and any military /
intelligence application.  My job is more technical out here.  However
I've lived here for nearly two years so I have some understanding.  You
might have read that because the Taleban suspected that mobile phone
signals were being used by ISAF to track them down they blew up some
base stations and the signal in those areas is now off during the
night.  Sometimes those who are going by road to such provinces from
Kabul are hiding their phone SIM cards, because if the bus gets stopped
by the Taleban, they must not be caught with any westerner's number on
their phone...  We don't to turn pilot schools into targets.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7291833.stm

2. I would argue that an education project is a much stronger defence.
As soon as someone learns how to read, and more importantly as part of
the OLPC project, learns how to learn, learns what the Koran says and
means, then I see the chances of this person going out and joining the
insurgents to be far far lower.

3. Knowing who you're dealing with is not so much as a problem as
endemic corruption.  Most government workers are paid $50 a month -
which in Kabul isn't even enough to buy Peanuts, or bread for the
family.  So what are you going to do?  Take a 60 cent bribe per job
possibly.  A few bribes a day and your family can eat.  Let me share a
true story -

Guy goes to government office and has name put down on waiting list.

3 hours later still not seen to

Guy asks why?

You need pay me says the person with the list

So he pays $2 and gets to the top of the list

Goes to see the manager

Says "You should fire that person who is taking bribes for people to see
you"

Manager says "OK, How much will you pay me to do that?"

4. You might have heard of the e-government Kiosk in India - where they
established booths with operators that could do all the common
government tasks - pay electricity bill, get driving license papers, etc.

5. Where I would see a lot of potential in the future is that OLPC can
greatly expand the number of people with access to a computer terminal.
Which makes e-government much more viable in these kinds of places.
That way people can skip the bureaucrats, bribery, the XO won't take
bribes.  You might have come across the OFBIZ framework
(ofbiz.apache.org) - this holds potential as a platform for e-government
applications.

6. I'm not sure that the culture in a post war country would work for
providing ratings - in countries where law and order is lacking you
often have to threaten to create a problem for someone if they do not
co-operate with your request.  This can get very dirty and complicated.
For example:

1. I have a disagreement with my house owner over the amount of rent
that I owe

2. He stops my friend from getting my stuff back and then claims for the
extra rent during the time that he refused to let the stuff be taken out
and refused to take the key back and threatens to call the police.

3. He threatens to call the police if not paid rent for the time during
which he refused to take the key back and refused to release anything
from the house

4. I counter-threaten to call the police for stolen stuff

5. Agreement reached to pay him a little extra and take stuff out

Unfortunately there are still those who will resort to violence and a
lot of the time people will be too afraid to put down the truth.  As
well as that - people if asked by members of their family / close
friends will put down false information without question.

7. If we can empower the government to deal more directly with people
through the XO then this would really have a lot of promise.  The
government could move people away from paper-pushing and into more
meaningful work, over time.

8. Don't get disappointed.  Afghanistan is recovering from a situation
almost without parallel, 3 decades of almost all out war.  In 6 years a
*LOT* has been accomplished.  13,000+ Registered companies, 4 mobile
phone operators, 4 airlines, GDP Up, millions of kids back to school.
Afghanistan has amongst the most free media in the region, even
recording MPs sleeping in parliament and broadcasting it.  Even public
campaigns about the lack of electricity done by radio operators.

9. Some ideas of XO apps could be:

 a. If we can make some kind of simple client-server app so that
constituents can engage directly with politicians - using chat, Q+A,
blogs, etc. that would hold a lot of promise.  For example the school
children could give questions to their MP, then their MP can take this
up in Kabul, and then give them the answer to their questions.

 b. As the government here can get really big and confusing - giving
people a directory of who to contact about what is the first step.  At
the moment the typical method is to find a friend / relation somewhere.
If we can create an activity that is like a directory wizard that could
be great.

Hope that has some interesting info...  Very much looking forward to
seeing what ideas we can take forward...

Regards,

-Mike

Mike Dawson
Deputy CEO