[Olpc-open] [Grassroots-l] Update on XOs in Urugua

Greg Smith (gregmsmi) gregmsmi at cisco.com
Thu Apr 3 09:09:20 EDT 2008

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for the comments. Your blog is awesome! Its posting faster than I
can keep up with but its great to see your range of feedback from
Pedagogy to Network to Power!

Not sure about the feed to planet laptop but will consider it time
permitting (AKA when someone figures out how to do it in 15 mintes :-).

I know there is a dearth of Nepali content on the Internet. If we come
up with a blog posting tool for kids, I hope you will consider using it
in Nepal. That will quickly create a whole new world of Nepali Internet
content!

When I get close to a design that we can implement in Uruguay I'll
circle back and see if it meets your requirements too.

When you get the sunrise phase rolled out, you may want to think about
your next top priority. I think you have the server mostly under control
and lots of good eToys content coming in. Beyond that, let us know what
the kids, teachers and admins want to do. Let it bubble up from users in
their own language. Watch what they do, figure out what they want to do
and why it is hard to accomplish. Then pick a high level challenge (e.g.
managing servers or training the teachers or tracking educational
results or sharing content, etc.).  Maybe one challenge for each class
of users? Don't seed them with any technical constraints or language.
Once you detect some themes you can pose a challenge to them and to us
and we will investigate ways to address it.

That's my 2 cents on requirements gathering. HTHs.

There will be too much feedback coming in to read it all so we'll count
on you to aggregate and collect the main ideas.  You only get one chance
to make a first impression so gather the feedback now and think about
how you will turn that in to requirements later.

If I can get the blog tool work nailed in the next two months, I'll have
time to pick up a new challenge. Pick the right concern for your kids
and we'll go from there.

The sky is the limit and you are closer to the sky than anyone else in
the world :-)

Thanks,

Greg S