[Olpc-open] 24 teachers start OLPC training

Bryan Berry bryan.berry at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 23:04:22 EDT 2008

Hey Edward,

Papert built on the theories of Piaget and Vygotsky. Co-learning,
experiential learning - these ideas were pioneered by Piaget and
Vygotsky. David Cavallo and Edith Ackermann talked extensively of Piaget
and Vygotsky at the OLPC Learning conference I attended in January.

I am particularly a big fan of Vygotsky as I agree with him that
learning is fundamentally a social process and that culture plays a
large role in our social interactions, hence learning.

All of our materials are in Nepali. I hope to post them in a publicly
accessible place later. Right now we are in a crunch because we start
the pilot at Bashuki and Bishwamitra very shortly.

"Constructionism" is a broad term that encompasses ideas from many
different theorists and many different elements such as:

social cognition
co-learning
scaffolding
Experiential learning

The single best resource I have found is this web site:

http://www.funderstanding.com/engaging_kids.cfm

and especially this page
http://www.funderstanding.com/theories.cfm

Bipul Gautam wrote a nice, short post about some of Piaget's theories on
our blog:
http://blog.olenepal.org/index.php/archives/200