[Olpc-open] video documentary formats

Charbax charbax at charbax.com
Fri Nov 30 17:28:01 EST 2007

Would the bad Youtube support on the laptop have something to do with the
software being used so far is Gnash and that might not have as good a
performance for playing Flash video files that an official Flash player for
Linux by Adobe?

Is the problem that Adobe's Flash player for Linux is not open-source that
it is not included in the laptop?

Are there some efforts underway to convince Adobe to contribute a better
Flash player for the XO or are there hopes that Gnash will work better in
future versions that can be automatically pushed out as a software update to
all XO laptops?

Otherwise, what is the resolution and bitrate supported for Mpeg4, Ogg
Theora and other formarts?

On Nov 30, 2007 11:04 PM, John Kintree <jkintree at swbell.net> wrote:

> A local video journalist has expressed an interest in documenting
> the XO laptop after people in St. Louis who are participating in
> the G1G1 initiative receive them.
>
> Publishing these videos at YouTube seems like a natural thing to
> do; however, we won't want to be limited to that since the XO
> itself does not display video from YouTube as well as possible.
>
> In addition to publishing documentaries of the XO at YouTube,
> it may be very desirable to also publish them in other formats.
> Theora is reported to display well on the XO.  Is there a space
> at wiki.laptop.org where theora format video about the XO can
> be published?
> Regards,
> John Kintree

Charbax,