[Olpc-open] 45,000 G1G1 orders

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 06:15:19 EST 2007

On Nov 25, 2007 1:12 PM, tall897 <tall897 at gmail.com> wrote:
> To purchase the olpc as an act of charity would be worthy; but as a helpmate
> it would be foolish, as compared with the availability of the advanced,
> polished ASUS EEE, which is far more useful. But, as has been said, one is
> best for the modern country and the other for primitive conditions, so the
> two are meant for entirely different populations.

I recommend that you speak for yourself, and do not try to tell other
people what they want. When I can get a spreadsheet on my XO, I will
use it for nearly everything. (I could use Google Documents, but I
find it a bit clumsy.) With an external keyboard, admittedly.

> And what is the purchaser
> to do if the olpc breaks down after its 30 day warranty expires?

Try to find another broken XO for cheap, and make a Frankenputer. But
what are the odds?

This is not a consumer product. Nobody but bleeding-edge neophile
early adopters and parents of small children should consider buying
it. Although I am delighted that people are buying it, I don't
recommend it to them (although I don't tell them they don't want it).

--
Edward Cherlin
Earth Treasury: End Poverty at a Profit