[Olpc-open] 45,000 G1G1 orders

Michael Burns maburns at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 18:56:43 EST 2007

On Nov 25, 2007 1:12 PM, tall897 <tall897 at gmail.com> wrote:

> To purchase the olpc as an act of charity would be worthy; but as a
> helpmate it would be foolish, as compared with the availability of the
> advanced, polished ASUS EEE, which is far more useful.

Having used both, this is an very unfair statement to make.

> But, as has been said, one is best for the modern country and the other
> for primitive conditions, so the two are meant for entirely different
> populations.

True, but missing the point. The XO isn't meant for just poor kids (though,
they are our model customer we are aiming for), instead, it is meant for
educating kids. The EEE is meant for western (mostly adult) tech consumers.
There is overlap, but they are coming from opposite sides of the spectrum.

> And what is the purchaser to do if the olpc breaks down after its 30 day
> warranty expires?

An effect of their different intentions. I've seen 9-year-olds disassemble
the XO and replace the motherboard by themselves, something the EEE can not
(as easily, at least) do. So, like we've said, it matters on who you are and
how the machine will be used.

Finding replacement parts (a good point you bring up) 6 months or more from
now will be drastically easier (as the number of machines in existance goes
from <50,000 to >250,000  or more).

--
Michael Burns * Student
Open Source {Education} Lab