[Olpc-open] tabula rasa

Carolyn Turbyfill cturbyfill at mac.com
Tue Nov 20 07:50:53 EST 2007

I'm a big fan of OLPC.  3 years ago I started working on trying to get
internet access for women in Afghanistan (they can't go to internet
cafe's
unless the cafe has hours set aside exclusively for women).  I was
beyond
delighted when I found out about the OLPC project.  I will be raising
some
money and purchasing some laptops.

For those of you who are thinking in high tech competitive terms, I
suggest:
Small Is Beautiful: Economics as if People Mattered (Paperback)
by E. F. Schumacher (Author) "One of the most fateful errors of our
age is the
  belief that "the problem of production" has been solved..." (more)

I have spent a great deal of time in poor countries - and to quote my
husband,
with whom I worked with Hansen's disease (Leprosy patients) in the
Peace Corps,
"poverty means there is nothing" - no resources, no opportunity.  I
worked with
deformed and chronically ill people who worked harder every day of of
their life
just to get by than I've ever worked.  A hardy laptop that doesn't
require batteries
and is a bit slow - this is so seriously not a problem.

I do hope OLPC has applied for some patents and if not - I'd love to
help.

Regards,
Carolyn Turbyfill
Fairfax, Virginia