[Olpc-open] [Edu-sig] OLPC G1G1 sales start today

Nicole Lee nicole.lee at students.olin.edu
Sun Nov 18 17:24:12 EST 2007

The XO and the Eee are very different laptops - comparing them side by side
is not fair to either. The Eee is a small, portable computer for first-world
countries, while the XO is much more in the vein of appropriate technology
for more remote areas. After all, even if the Eee does run more powerfully
or play flash better, if you put it in a dusty, muddy, rainy, or electricity
deprived area it's not going to run at all. All laptops are not created
equal, but that doesn't mean there's an absolute scale for 'good' and 'bad'
products, or uses. Both of these laptops can be used effectively towards the
same goal - education, but they should certainly be used in different ways.

XOs do run slowly, which I personally have found plenty frustrating. That's
fine. I have a relatively powerful laptop that I use for school - there's no
reason to try and run a Matlab simulation on an XO. But the slowness is a
tradeoff; you sacrifice faster speed for things like ruggedness, cost,
energy efficiency... the list goes on.

Do we need to be dependent on the absolute buy-in of more powerful nations?
Maybe. Politics and funding are certainly a factor in changing the world,
and that's a fact of life that cannot be ignored. But it's hardly under our
control if they don't like what has been carefully and thoughtfully crafted,
just because it isn't as fast or shiny as things that go out in the
technology market every day. So is it better to try and create something
that the average American (for example) consumer would want to buy, or to
create something that would be useful to the children that the XOs are being
shipped to?

Neither of these laptops is a magic bullet. They're just tools, and tools
are tools: you can argue that you could use a rock or a hammer or a nail gun
to nail two pieces of wood together, but I can certainly think of situations
in which one might be preferable to the other two. While we can probably
agree that there are few situations in which you'd want just a rock, I find
it hard to believe that you could make a solid argument of which of the
remaining two is absolutely superior. It's a question of relativity, but a
lot of people seem to lack any reasonable sense of perspective when it comes
to the XO.

-Nikki