[Olpc-open] documentary

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed May 30 15:11:11 EDT 2007

In a word, yes. I am forwarding this to some film people I have been
talking to about the same idea.

On 5/28/07, John Kintree <jkintree at swbell.net> wrote:
> Is it time to produce a documentary that illustrates the capabilities of the
> XO computer?  I would like to see such a production begin with children, in
> schools that have already received XO computers. demonstrating what they can
> do with them.  This would include the mesh networking, dual-mode monitor,
> Sugar interface, and some of the networked activities.  Since the units that
> have already been distributed to children are the B2 builds, the documentary
> might conclude with a visit to MIT and demonstration of the enhanced
> capabilities of the B3 units, and a description of other design changes that
> might take place, such as the antenna, before mass production begins.
>
> While children might take the lead role in demonstrating how the XO works, the
> documentary should be directed and edited by skilled and experienced people.
> The final outcome could be published at YouTube and Google Video, as well as
> with a higher quality version in ogg theora format that could be published
> for downloading.
>
> If sufficient orders from national departments of education have not been
> received at the time the documentary is produced, the documentary could help
> raise the orders, or be used as a fund raising tool.

OLPC has orders for at least six million units confirmed, which is
plenty to begin production.

> I know that if an
> opportunity for individuals to purchase two XO computers, one of which the
> buyer would receive and the other being given to a child in a developing
> country, I would like to see a comprehensive documentary before placing my
> order.  BTW, I would be happy to pay in advance, with my money held in an
> escrow account, until a minimum number such as  250,000 units was ordered.

Fewer than 10,000 people have committed to such purchases (for
example, at Pledgebank). The current minimum order is 250,000. OLPC
will be production limited for some time. They have to get out the six
million for this year, then the 10-20 million projected for next year,
then... In the meantime, you can download the XO software and run it
on your current computer. The Live CD page on the Wiki explains how. I
have tested a Live CD on Linux, Windows, and x86 Mac computers with no
problems. Of course you don't get mesh networking this way, but you
can't have everything. (Where would you put it?)

> Regards,
> John Kintree
> 4043 Delor Street
> St. Louis, MO  63116