[Olpc-open] Fwd: Intel modifies Wi-Fi to add mileage

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 00:56:41 EDT 2007

It's just different software on standard WiFi hardware with a
directional antenna, according to the C-NET story. The beams are said
to be electronically steerable over a small angle so that minor
misalignments are not a problem.

"The difference is that a WiMax tower costs about $15,000 to $20,000.
The long range Wi-Fi towers might only cost $700 to $800." WiMax is
also a 360 degree broadcast system, rather than point-to-point. The
two serve different needs. The price estimates are unrealistic, so
don't put too much stock in the marketing hype. This system will be
cheap, but not *that* cheap, says I, drawing on my 17 years in
high-tech market research.