[Olpc-open] radio transmit power and health

John Kintree jkintree at swbell.net
Tue Jan 23 10:46:17 EST 2007

What is the transmit power of the Marvell radio that is being used in the OLPC computer?  Concern is sometimes raised about the possible harmful effects of exposing children to microwave radiation.  It's my understanding that consumer WiFi products in general have a lower transmit power (often 30 milliwatts) than cell phones (as much as 1 watt), and therefore have fewer potential risks, especially since laptops are not held against the user's head the way cell phones are.  Some of the concerns might be reduced if we could tell people what the transmit power of the radio in the OLPC computer is.
Thanks,
John Kintree
http://home.swbell.net/jkintree/islt/