[Olpc-open] RE: [mass storage] Is it possible to substitute flash?

Xan DXpublica at telefonica.net
Wed Jan 17 07:55:29 EST 2007

First of all, thank you for answering so fast!

En/na David Gelkin ha escrit:
> Hi Xan,
>
>      I believe the USB ports are intended for the expansion of storage
> memory, i.e. USB memory stick or USB hard drive.

Yes. I thought it too, but it's not portable. Not so portable than an
internal flash memory

> If the machine becomes
> too customizable and the potential for a powerful(ish) machine is
> possible. Then the bigger risk of laptop theft and black market scams.
> This machine is ment as a learning tool, not as a games machine or mp3
> server. So the need to remain a childs machine in an environment which
> by the projects nature will be under developed and poor to western
> standards. The idea of huge image libraries from your digital camera, or
> the latest mp3 song from the latest pop artist is not even imagined by
> these communities and could be alien. Even the introduction of the
> internet will be life changing to some extent i imagine. A connection to
> the web is the bases of this project which is were majority of the data
> will reside. The actual machine will be for no better word a dumb
> terminal if I'm not mistaken? Just a method for connecting to the net
> and accessing the data on it. The value to the black market is basically
> none as this is only a web access device. Which in the west is already
> available on a mobile phone with wlan, at very good speeds and at a low
> price. The size of the screen may be a bonus though, but its essentially
> a minimum spec mobile terminal for internet access, at the cheapest
> price possible.

Well, I'm not completely agree with you: I not thought about a laptop
for mp3 server or for store my gallery of photos. I thought about what
amount of information a children could store in that: imagine that one
child have the laptop from 9 to 15 years. What MB of information
"generates" this child?. Think it: images (didactially explained (for
example mamut parts)), photos, documents (majority txt, odf, and pdf)

I think this could be very amount of space, isn't it?
And more if one laptop is used for more than one child
Or if one laptop is used for one family

Another point of view, if the net is avaliable but we have no space for
store what we want (for example pdf's of png's), for what we need inet?.
And in one moment we have inet (for example in school) and we have to
store documents (for example for homework).

I think it's realistic think. (?)

If flash were removable, it could be solved easyly.

(Perhaps it were convenient to test laptops in real life to know the
amount of information that one/more child could generate for having an
"objective" mesure of that)

Respecting to black market I think that it's a big problem, but my
opinion is that it were not afected mostly if flash were removable (yes
if the laptop have in general more "best" hardware specifications)

>     An easily removable flash could be useful for repair and recovery
> though.

Yes. Very good pointing

Regards,
Xan.