[Olpc-open] OLPC Linux for ordinary PCs

Ivan Krstić krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu
Sat Feb 10 17:51:47 EST 2007

Hi Liam,

Liam Proven wrote:
> As I understand it, the OLPC OS is Linux, basically a cut-down Fedora
> with a new, custom UI on top called "Sugar". I believe that this is
> based on X.11 but from the screenshots & so on I've seen, it is
> nothing like any existing OS.

Sugar is a custom GUI running on top of a mostly stock X from X.org.

> [1] Is there a version of the OLPC OS for vanilla PC hardware?

You can emulate the OS on vanilla hardware easily:

    http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OS_images_for_emulation

Sugar and much of our other user-facing software is still in very early
development stages, and not suitable for production use. It'll be
another few months until we're at the point where people might want to
run it full-time on their machines.

Cheers,

--
Ivan Krstić <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | GPG: 0x147C722D