[Olpc-open] an inexpensive plan for personalized laptops?

Jonah Bossewitch mrenoch at phantomcynthetics.com
Tue Feb 6 21:47:23 EST 2007

Hi,

I recently had a chance to see the laptops in person at the UN CTAUN
Info fair - http://www.ctaun.org/index1.php?param=con

The experience and this series got me thinking...
http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=44124344283%40N01&q=olpc+unitednations&m=tags

All of these laptops really do look identical - maybe OLPC could
encourage ownders to attach stickers and decals to increase
personalization and differentiation.

I think kids personalizing their laptops with stickers will be a great
way for them to assert ownership, differentiate, and personalize...
maybe even fetishize their laptop.

Another added benefit of this practice would be to actually devalue the
resell value of the laptops, while leaving them functionally identical.
>From what I understand, purposefully lowering their perceived resale
value would be great for the laptops.

So, the biggest hurdle I can imagine for the sticker program is parents
and teachers insisting that the new laptops are pristine, and that
stickers would "mess them up" - maybe if laptops shipped with some basic
decals, or even an alphabet so kids could stick their own name on? That
way it is clear that stickers are "supposed" to be applied.

If you ask me, It would be great if more and more of the demo laptops
had stickers all over them.

BTW, for inspiration, check out the BMW mini decals (these quirky icons
come with the car, for the dashboard)

http://www.lokisnake.com/blog/2005/10/23/miniusa-uaom/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47478062@N00/280657481/

cheers,