[Olpc-open] Re: Negroponte exploits the poor

quixote gnome at greenglim.com
Thu Feb 1 23:38:25 EST 2007

Jose Antonio's response to objections about the OLPC look thorough.
Unfortunately, I don't read Portuguese , so I may be repeating some of
his points, but I wanted to weigh in since this is a topic that
irritates me.

First, where do people get off, saying what the less-developed world
"needs"?  I remember reading about an Oxfam study years ago in some part
of East Africa.  I think they'd recently had a famine, and Oxfam had the
bright idea of asking the locals what _their_ wishlist was.  They wanted
schools for their children.  Food could wait.  If the OLPC serves no
useful purpose, it'll be obvious soon enough.  Somehow, I don't think
that's what the critics are afraid of.

The idea he quotes about sending the West's discarded PCs had me rolling
on the floor, laughing.  Right.  Send thousands of incompatible, partly
broken machines, none of which work together or with anything else, and
each of which requires it's own IT support tech just to keep running.
That'll give everyone an excellent experience with the world of
computing.  (I guess the idea is it would build character.)

And in what sense is the OLPC "exploitative"?  All the software is open
source.  The hardware is priced at a level that'll still be expensive in
its intended markets, but certainly isn't a gold mine of profit for
anyone.  I haven't heard about anyone selling ads on the desktop or any
other chicanery.  So where is the exploitation??

The business about there being "no proven need" is also just plain
silly.  In the 1960s, people kept yammering about what a waste the space
program was, because it didn't feed anybody and who needed it?  Now
those same people take satellite-linked cell phones for granted, and
don't even remember the days when weather reports were one big guessing
game for farmers and everyone else.  I'll bet if we could go back far
enough, there were probably plenty of curmudgeons who didn't see what
all the fuss was over the newfangled printing press.  I mean, how many
copies of "The Book of Days" do you need to read in a lifetime?

Cheers, OLPC'ers, and keep up the great work.
quixote.

--
http://molvray.com/acid-test  http://molvray.com/sf