[Olpc-open] Why is G1G1 program ending?

Steve Holton sph0lt0n at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 11:46:11 EST 2007

On Dec 30, 2007 10:57 AM, Josh Cogliati <jjcogliati-olpc at yahoo.com> wrote:

> 4.  Educational laptop.  All of the 'laptops' for
> children that I see are less robust and only have
> canned software (they are also on the order of $80).

Strongly agree here.
The XO really should not be compared to other ruggedized laptop computers
  http://www.buytough.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=136
but rather to other educational devices

http://espanol.leapfrog.com/view/site.page.basic/product/site.object.product/leaptopschool;jsessionid=5B882D8C68ED8E242D0DA12733E04FD6?ageGroup=preschool

Any resemblance to an ultra tough, water proof, ultra portable, incredibly
versatile, connect anywhere laptop computer is simply a coincidence
attributable to that fact that the hardware has to be functional for kids.

When put in this light, the XO may well be the most functional, best
supported, most thoroughly documented, and most widely available educational
device ever produced. I can't think of anything that even comes close except
perhaps the basic pencil.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problems with people using XO's to day trade
stocks from the city park, document new insect species in Brazil, play Quake
with a few friends, or  strap into a Hero Jr. As long as they didn't steal
the XO from a child.

But those /other/ uses will occur without direct encouragement from OLPC.
But the OLPC /is/ in a position to kill all of those uses -- by killing the
supply of hardware. And that's exactly what they seem to be doing by
terminating the availability of the XO.

In just a few hours, the XO will become the best educational platform/laptop
computer you *used to* be able to buy.

--
Steve Holton
sph0lt0n at gmail.com