[Olpc-open] Why is G1G1 program ending?

Jim Sayre jfsayre at vcn.bc.ca
Sat Dec 29 14:16:22 EST 2007

Thanks for the quick response.  Despite my comments about the
non-educational advantages of readable displays and mesh networking, I
totally agree that documentation for the G1G1 program has to make it
very clear that it isn't a commercial marketing program.  In fact, the
XO does seem to be a very cool gadget, but it's up to the users to
figure it out (RTFM, for starters), and to help each other via user
email lists, etc. like the linux and other open source software
communities do.  The web site and documentation that comes with the XO
just have to explain up front that due to the project's focus on its
core mission, staff can't directly trouble-shoot fixable problems.
Encourage donors to join a buddy system in their area.  People like to
help others by sharing the skills they've discovered.  The biggest
limitation right now is probably the lack of a critical mass of users
who've had the XO long enough to able to help out.  That will be fixed
by getting more donor units into circulation, not less.  If there were
XO user groups in each major city, even many hardware issues could be
fixed wthout taking up a lot of staff time.

I agree that arranging replacements for truly defective or damaged units
is unavoidable, but with good qualify control and a reliable shipping
method that shouldn't be a big deal.  In fact, it occurs to me that a
commerial supplier like Dell might be persuaded to handle the shipping
process at cost.  The XO is hardly competition for its products, and it
would be a good will gesture that might well generate more business for
them.  That way you'd just have to ship the units from the manufacturer
to a Dell warehouse in each region.  You might even get them to donate
some of the overhead cost in return for a thank-you acknowledgement with
the packaging.   They do a good job getting their own products to people
quickly, and they have staff in place to take care of returns
efficiently.  Farm it out.

Clear documentation is going to be crucial whether G1G1 continues or
not.  If intelligent and motivated donors can't figure the XO out,
neither will many teachers, and they'll end up not using it.  The
questions asked by donors will help to alert the project's help desk
staff and volunteers to items that need to be explained better (or
designed better), and thereby help the target educational users.

I looked at the G1G1 portion of the website again, and it sounds as
though it was never intended to be permanent.  The site says that it has
been "extended" to Dec. 31, not that it has been decided to terminate it
then.  It sounds like a rather too successful pilot project that
prepared for the volume it generated.  But that's not a reason to give
up on it - instead, redesign it and take full advantage the donations,
enthusiasm, etc., that it will create.  OLPC isn't a commercial
business, but that doesn't mean that no business principles are relevant
to it.   OLPC has found an unexpectedly large niche with people who are
able and willing to contribute in return for getting a unit of their
own, and it would just be good sense to take advantage of it.

Jim

PS:  I just saw Steve's posting, and have to disagree.  Apple is already
in the commercial market (to put it mildly), so an educational-only
promotion makes sense, and they don't need to create a community of
experienced Apple users to offer support to their primary overseas
market.  It's just a totally different situation.

PPS:  It doesn't appear that the "give many" program is being ended or
cut back.  However, it doesn't allow anyone to actually see an XO
laptop.  If a group is trying to get together enough contributions to
donate 100 computers, it shouldn't cost them $300 each, or at least,
there should be an explanation for the additional amount.  The numbers
just seem to be round figures pulled out of a hat - $300 each for 100 or
more, $250 each for 1000 or more, etc.  Those don't sound like realistic
estimates of the actual cost of sending out computers in those numbers.

--

Jim Sayre
jfsayre at vcn.bc.ca