[Olpc-open] friendly manual

gnome gnome at greenglim.com
Sat Dec 22 22:57:50 EST 2007

Yes, indeed.  There's a distinct lack of a friendly manual.  Maybe this
is something we could do as a community?  The OLPC folks have to be
stretched pretty thin! :-D
The olpcnews forums that I mention below would be the place to try to
start something like that perhaps?  Or do the Mavens at MIT have a plan
that the rest of us could help with?

Re the question about access points: the Green Machine does not play
well with WPA security.  If that's what you have, there's a workaround
here: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/WPA_Manual_Setting .  It'll probably
seem geeky to people new to Linux, but judging by comments, some of them
have tackled it successfully too.  It worked for me.

There's also scuttlebutt that the next software upgrade to the XO
operating system will solve the wpa problem.  But I don't know how hairy
the upgrading process will be.  Maybe best to start getting used to the
command line now :-\ .

(And maybe also wondering when an ubuntu version will be offered as an
option!  Sugar is great.  Don't get me wrong.  But also oddly limiting
in unexpected ways.)

Elaine's links to the User Guide and Support page are bursting with good
material.  The Support FAQ is a gold mine, too.  (Linked on the Support
page.)  Another source of help is http://www.olpcnews.com, and the
related forums (olpcnews.com/forums).  They don't replace a good manual
since information can be scattered and require too much digging, but at
least it's there!

Cheers to all, and wonderful holidays!
quixote.

--