[Olpc-open] reading books... - finding nemo

tekelsey at gmail.com tekelsey at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 14:17:00 EST 2007

sameer,

thanks for taking the time to share. Another message that helps to confirm the sense I have that I need to focus on story.

I just got out of a meeting with a toy development company, with the hopes of convincing them to help develop a creative property that could ultimately result in bringing enjoyment and learning to kids around the world. Something like an open source finding nemo.

somewhat related to http://www.cftw.com/3d

and

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/glf

It was interesting to see their reaction to my presentation. It may have been a little premature, because the story is not yet fully developed, and that makes sense. When a toy development company brings a creative property to a very big fish, there needs to be a strong story, for the people with money to risk it.

The mtg ended up being a conversation, the beginning of one. They're interested in the PhD work I'm doing with multilingual convergence, interested in possibly doing some pro-bono work. They also ended up wanting to order a g1g1 laptop, and learning more about olpc and "wikinomics".

At the same time that I dream of harnessing an existing entity that is "ready to go", with peoples' full time dedicated towards something kids with or without money could enjoy,  I stilll nourish the dream of seeing if there's a way for characters to arise from collaborative, open frameworks, where there may be a tenth ofthe time to spare, but perhaps enough people out there to bring something about.

Could there be a truly open source finding nemo? An interesting thought.

In either case, it seems that story is key.

Maybe there is room for both.

I guess I was discouraged coming out of the mtg, because I feel a sense of urgency about these things. But I picked up my little phone, read your email, and was encouraged by it, and reminded of how I am not alone, but part of a community. One whose members I very much appreciate.

Peace,

Todd