[Olpc-open] reading books...

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Tue Dec 11 12:57:04 EST 2007

Doris Lessing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doris_Lessing), aged 88, was
awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature. In her acceptance speech she
recalls her childhood in Africa and laments that children in Zimbabwe
are starving for knowledge, while those in more privileged countries
shun reading for the 'inanities' of the Internet.

http://books.guardian.co.uk/print/0,,331488257-110738,00.html

I am not sure I completely agree with the whole "inanities of the
Internet" business though, especially in light of what OLPC aims to do.
Sure, the "book" will not have paper pages, but it will nevertheless be
a book. There is also a great bit of focus currently on providing books
via the XO laptop. I hope we eventually graduate to the possibility of
*writing* books via the XO. Children have great imagination and would be
a great source for short stories.