[Olpc-open] Question for Sameer about Moodle and repository software (library)

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Sat Dec 8 13:51:33 EST 2007

Bryan Berry wrote:
> Sameer,
>
> I am setting up the LMS and e-library for Nepal's pilot of OLPC.
>
> I have been playing around w/ Moodle and have been quite annoyed to find
> that it doesn't have a built-in or standard repository server. All
> resources are specific to a particular course and it seems hard to share
> them across courses.
>
> What is SF State using for its repository?
>
> What are you using for your repository server. I have been looking at
> fedora (not the linux distro) and been quite impressed www.fedora.info
>
> appreciate your comments.
>
> Bryan W. Berry
> Open Learning Exchange Nepal, www.olenepal.org

Hi Bryan,

We have a similar problem with the lack of a good repository structure
within Moodle. We have a project (currently internal to SF State) called
DIVA (http://diva.sfsu.edu/). There are plans to release DIVA under an
open source license in the near future. Some of our courses have large
media files and reusability would be a great feature to have for such
situations. In general though, the current Moodle install has a MySQL db
of about 6+ GB and content files adding up to 200+ GB. Storage wise,
that's not much. Availability wise though, it becomes a management problem.

I am copying Andrew Roderick, the project manager for DIVA in case you
have any specific questions.

Sameer

--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.