[Olpc-open] Windows XP OLPC in January??!!!

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Fri Dec 7 12:10:21 EST 2007

Ed Montgomery wrote:
> This has just hit the wires.  M$ is going to have an
> "XO" system running in January?  How appalling.  Still
> doing their dammedest to ensure the world's computer
> users remain hooked, ignorant and locked in.
>
> Microsoft's renewed interest in participating in OLPC
> might be viewed by skeptics as an admission that a
> rival offering for developing markets called Classmate
> -- which uses an Intel processor on Microsoft software
> -- has failed to catch on.
>
> Virtually all major U.S. tech vendors are looking to
> emerging markets to drive the bulk of their sales
> growth in the 21st century, and are loathe to see
> rivals establish an early footprint.
>
> Microsoft on Wednesday said it's planning "limited
> field trials" in January of an XO system running
> Windows XP.
>
> Microsoft's renewed interest in participating in OLPC
> might be viewed by skeptics as an admission that a
> rival offering for developing markets called Classmate
> -- which uses an Intel processor on Microsoft software
> -- has failed to catch on.
>
> Virtually all major U.S. tech vendors are looking to
> emerging markets to drive the bulk of their sales
> growth in the 21st century, and are loathe to see
> rivals establish an early footprint.
>
> Microsoft on Wednesday said it's planning "limited
> field trials" in January of an XO system running
> Windows XP.
>
> http://itnews.com.au/News/66442,microsoft-wants-ne-laptop-per-child-system-to-run-windows-xp.aspx

The article says ""We asked the OLPC to add a slot for an internal SD
card that will provide the 2 Gbytes of extra memory," Utzschneider
wrote. It was not immediately clear if the OLPC has responded to
Microsoft's request. "

For a news media site they aren't very well informed, are they?

Sameer

--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
San Francisco State University