[Olpc-open] More details...40 MS employees working on it (Win XP on XO)

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Fri Dec 7 10:51:34 EST 2007

Ed Montgomery wrote:
> Another article on Win XP on XO project:
> http://www.news.com/beyond-binary/8301-13860_3-9829735-56.html

Well ... XP runs dog-slow on my 512 MB 1.6 GHz Athlon XP, but that's not
a processor or RAM limitation -- it's the hard drive that's slowing it
down. So you *might* be able to get a stripped Windows XP to run in a
433 MHz processor with 256 MB and 1 GB Flash / 2 GB SD, as the article
states. But why would Microsoft put the effort into doing all that
kernel work? They already have a huge lineup of educational software
already -- why not port that to the XO? Squeak, Python, and most of the
libraries on the XO run fine on Windows, so they could easily cross-develop.

If they want to build a low-cost lightweight Windows XP / Office machine
for adults, they can do that easily. I had a Toshiba Libretto 70 that
ran just fine with Windows / Office 95, 32 MB of RAM and a 1.5 GB hard
drive. Today's technology ought to be able to do the 2008 equivalent,
and the only place where you really have to make any hard decisions is
whether to put in flash or a rotating disk drive.

BTW, I still have that Libretto -- it runs Debian Woody and whatever KDE
version Woody had native. I could probably upgrade that to something a
little newer, but I haven't been able to find a replacement battery for
it so it didn't seem worth the time. The XO has a way better electrical
footprint, a way better screen, more RAM and a USB port and doesn't need
Windows any more than my other computers do. :)