[Olpc-open] CMS, Moodle, etc

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Thu Dec 6 13:23:44 EST 2007

gnome wrote:
> This is the first issue on the forum I can address as something other
> than a rank amateur.  :-)

This stuff is so new that most of us are amateurs...bring it on!

> I've used Moodle, WebCT (now Blackboard), Blackboard before they merged,
> and have looked at Sakai.
>
> Moodle seems to me to be the clear winner.  Not so much necessarily on
> technical grounds, although a good case could be made for that, but because:
>
> 1) it has by far the highest rate of adoption in schools.  In
> universities, it's a close second and gaining on WebCT/Blackboard fast.
> If OLPC adopted Moodle, they'd be plugged into what is already the
> widest network of educators.

SF State, where I work has over 31,000 students and uses Moodle
exclusively. We used to be a Blackboard shop, but after careful
consideration
(http://www.sfsu.edu/~etac/ETAC_Report-iLearn-Bb-final.pdf) we switched
over a 100% to Moodle. We had tons of problems with Blackboard with
randomly losing courses, student info etc. We now have a dedicated team
that runs our Moodle shop and currently hosts the CVS for North America.

http://opensource.sfsu.edu/node/417

> 2) It is open source, and has a truly excellent set of support forums.
> My simple questions have been answered within hours -- the advantage of
> a global community is that someone's always awake ;-) -- and more
> difficult questions take a few days.

I concur on this point. Apart from the tech support forum, the community
is very active. I was at a Moodle Moot (convention) in Albuquerque
earlier this year. They had a huge turnout and it was amazing that we
were able to connect with so many universities looking for a place far
away from Blackboard :-) We (SF State) now have a consortium of schools
that rely heavily on shared experiences, hosting, etc.