[Olpc-open] Academics et al.

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Dec 5 08:53:34 EST 2007

On Dec 5, 2007, at 14:15 , Ed Montgomery wrote:

> Squeak, eh? :-)  Now you have jumped from 'software'
> to programming language.  I.e. you have jumped from OS
> preference to programming language preference.

Ed, sorry, but this just shows that you don't have a clue about
Squeak or Etoys.

It's not just a programming language, it is a full graphical
operating system (it runs on bare hardware in fact) just as the early
Smalltalks did.

If you actually looked at the links provided by Yoshiki, you might
have noticed. In particular, how such a system encourages exploration
and learning.

And I think nobody would deny that Sugar and Squeak share a lot of
vision. The choice of programming language is secondary (although
Pyhtonistas and Squeakers agree that a dynamic, late-bound
environment is a Good Thing).

- Bert -