[Olpc-open] Olpc-open Digest, Vol 18, Issue 6 - support forum, reading, computers & learning

Michael Burns maburns at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 15:54:37 EST 2007

On Dec 3, 2007 7:27 PM, gnome <gnome at greenglim.com> wrote:

> I'm delighted to hear there will be a support forum!  Could we have a
> forum version of this list too?  Pleeease?

Community-support will be the first mailing list that makes use of the
forum-syncing scripts. If other sub-groups (Open, Games, Localization,
Grassroots, Library, Peripherals, etc) are all perfect candidates to join
the forum fray.

Any group interested in joining the forum need just ask. I'll be happy to
work with them and danny clark to make it happen. The more the merrier!

>  Mailing lists require way
> too much wetware processing power to keep track of the threads ;-) and
> they're a terrible way of storing any info one might want to keep track
> of.

Our thoughts  exactly.

> Re the person who said parents reading to their children was
> pedagogically preferable.  (Brave soul, btw, saying that kind of thing
> in this place.)  Aside from the practical issues raised by others, I
> vividly remember that I didn't think so when I was a child.  I was of
> the "Mother, please.  I'd rather do it myself" persuasion.  And because
> I could, I felt quite special.

I've always noticed that hearing, or back-and-forth discussion, is my most
effective best way to grok. Likely because of that, I quite enjoyed being
read to as a child.

Reading to a child has been shown to be A Good Thing (TM), but surely not if
it is at the expense of children reading themselves. As an aside, if you've
ever listened to the Harry Potter audiobooks: They have a Note To Parents
that listening to audiobooks is good (but less effective!) than if the
parents actually read to the child directly. In kind, a parent reading to a
child is good (but less effective) than than child being able to read
themselves.

The feeling of being special is pedagogically priceless, and I would think
> the Green Machine will have that effect in heaps.

+1

--
Michael Burns * Student
Open Source {Education} Lab