[Olpc-open] Olpc-open Digest, Vol 18, Issue 3

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 20:34:02 EST 2007

On Dec 2, 2007 1:23 PM, Carolyn Turbyfill <cturbyfill at mac.com> wrote:
> you  also have to assume the parents can read, that they can see to
> read,
> that they have time and energy during the day to read, and that they
> have
> light at night to read.

I make none of those assumptions. As I wrote on OLPC News, I assume
that the computer will read to children and parents alike when
multilingual text-to-speech software is included. Karaoke-style
coloring of the text is also important to show what letter or syllable
is being pronounced. We know that children will learn to read if they
hear and see stories at the same time. Some unknown fraction of the
parents will also learn to read under those conditions, just is
illiterate Indians learn to read while singing along with captioned
Bollywood movies.

Edward Cherlin
Earth Treasury: End Poverty at a Profit
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Earth_Treasury