[Olpc-open] Olpc-open Digest, Vol 18, Issue 2

Charbax charbax at charbax.com
Sun Dec 2 07:06:02 EST 2007

Piaget didn't even know that computers were going to be as cheap, portable
and connected to the Internet.

It's like many other things, such as the teacher-class blackboard method of
learning, even representative democracy was invented a long time before we
had all those telephones, televisions, airplanes, computers and the
Internet.

Some things haven't changed yet even though there are new technologies that
should be able to completely revolutionnize the way we do those things.

Teacher unions, archaic school managment, locked up national curriculum and
education ministries that have no courage to experiment or make massive
changes in methods. Those are the reasons children are much more productive
on their video-game consoles, on their computers, mobile phones and ipods,
which all seem to be completely illegal to use in this archaic 1800s century
school system that we are is still the way classrooms work today:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=UJCicBQh3HM

Schools today kill creativity: http://youtube.com/watch?v=iG9CE55wbtY

On Dec 2, 2007 12:54 PM, tall897 <tall897 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The information I present is not from "my theories" but, among others, the
> widely accepted ones of Piaget, and Werner and Wapner, the latter having
> been, so to speak, down the street from MIT at Clark University. All of
> which was cutting edge stuff-- fifty years ago.
>
> One would hope that you show a more tempered response to students who
> disagree with you than you did towards me.
>

> On Dec 2, 2007 2:37 AM, Ed Montgomery < edm at rocketmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Dear Dr. Clinical/Child Psychologist whatever:
> >
> > I'm just a lowly teacher, with years of dealing with
> > computers and kids (sometimes as many as 30 at a time,
> > as opposed to your say, one at a time?).  Your
> > 'objective' proof is nonsense.  I've seen many
> > children go on to productive careers in many fields,
> > and they are all grateful that they had
> > exposure/access to computers to help them in their
> > education, etc.  This project will help to address,
> > amongst other things, the digital divide, where only
> > the wealthy (exemplis gratis, child psychologists,
> > have access to computers, their children have
> > computers, etc.).  So, are you telling me that you,
> > your colleagues, other doctors, child psychologists,
> > don't use computers?  Not useful? Don't use them for
> > educational purposes, etc.?  Nonsense.
> >
> > I'd say your license should be revoked, based on your
> > statements.  Who knows what other crackpot theories
> > you have.  (But please, go ahead and enlighten us.)

Charbax,
Nicolas Charbonnier