[Olpc-open] Need help upgrading B1 firmware/OS

Alex Quinn spam at alexquinn.org
Wed Apr 11 10:56:12 EDT 2007

I'm trying to upgrade a B1 to the new firmware, OS, and software using the
automatic reinstallation.  I'm following these instructions:
   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Autoreinstallation_image

The XO can read from my USB drive just fine if I boot into Linux and mount
it.  However, I can't seem to get it to read my drive when I try to boot
using their upgrade script.  They have a couple tricks on the web site,
which I've tried.  I tried copying bzImage to ofw.bzi and using the
firmware command line to load it.  I also tried making a copy of olpc.fth
called olpc-boot.fth in the "boot" directory on the USB drive.  Nothing
works.  It just boots into Linux no matter what I do.

I posted screenshots - photos, actually - on my web site:
     http://alexquinn.org/problems/xo/

It would be helpful if you could CC your reply to my main email address:
    "aq" at my school's domain, which is cs point umd point edu.
It's also at the top of that web page.  If there's some other list where I
should be posting this, feel free to just let me know that.

Alex