[Olpc-open] OLPC and Wireless Sensor Networks: what can be learnt?

Tom Parker palfrey at tevp.net
Sun Apr 8 12:01:43 EDT 2007

(Apologies to anyone who's seen this before. I sent it to
research at laptop.org about 3 weeks ago, but that mailing list appears to
be a bit on the dead side, so here's a second attempt...)

things not considered for traditionally networked systems (physical
localisation; routing designed for wireless; etc). These could also be
used for the OLPC project with the current hardware design, but have not
been done so far.

Wireless Sensor Networks are based upon the idea of many small computing
nodes designed for data acquistion, processing and retrieval via radio.
To some extent, it is a daughter field from Mobile Ad-Hoc Networking,
but with a focus on vastly reduced resource budgets (energy, processing,
memory, radio bandwidth). Typical hardware for sensor networks has a
single-digit MHz 8-bit microprocessor, 4-10 KB of RAM, and a total
energy budget similar to a pair of AA batteries. Typical runtime with no
power management is 4 days, but usual requirements are for 2-6 months,
so we've had to try and be a bit smarter with our power management. The
Wikipedia page [1] is pretty good for a wider view of the field.

Despite all of these limitations, or perhaps because of them, a number
of innovative solutions and new capabilities have been created for these
devices, and I feel that some of this innovation should be fed back to
other wireless networks (i.e. OLPC).

* One of these areas is physical localisation. Much effort has been
expended in attempting to work out where we have placed our sensor
nodes, as otherwise our data acquistion is of limited use. Some of the
solutions involve additional hardware (ultrasound emitters for example),
but a great deal of work has been done in attempting to do smart things
with the inaccurate data from Radio Signal Strength information, which
is also potentially available to the OLPC computers. Imagine a
Neighbourhood view with information about where your friends are, and
who's moving around.

* Another area is wireless-aware routing. The Guesswork protocol [2] for
  example, is designed around the idea of broadcast as the basic
primitive for routing vs. the unicast-based routing generally thought
about in most scenarios, as unicast is inefficient for unreliable radio
links. Additionally, the protocol can be used to do energy-efficient
multicast which would be useful for package dissemination. A critical
note is that the protocol will not really work in wired networks, as it
is designed around broadcast messages and overhearing of packets. For
wireless networks however, it is perfect. An implementation of this
protocol has already been achieved for sensor nodes with the
specifications above (i.e. minimal memory/processor usage).

Couple of other things of note: we're doing this with hardware less
advanced than your radio chip, our solutions tend to be fully
distributed, and our software is designed to work well in networks with
*many* nodes e.g. a school of OLPC users.

So, why am I writing this? Well, to be honest, I'm fishing. I'm in the
process of finishing my PhD (estimate finished ~September, with thesis
subject being how we can rethink our abstractions and mental models to
create better protocols for sensor networks, with a side note of "this
can be used elsewhere"), and I'm hunting for my next project. In
addition to the Guesswork protocol mentioned above, I also have
published work on smart RSSI-based localisation protocols, and other
areas of Sensor Networks. My full publications can be found at [3]. I'm
searching ideally for post-doc opportunities (although commercial R&D
may be considered) to explore some of these possibilities, and see what
can be done about doing some really smart things with the OLPC hardware.
Anywhere in an English-speaking country is fine by me (3.5 years in the
Netherlands have taught me I have no talent for human languages).

Thanks for your time. Any takers?

Tom Parker
palfrey at tevp.net
PDS Group at TU Delft, Netherlands